Levels of Operational Readiness – The Level of Operational Readiness will be determined by the level and/or amount of perceived or possible threat/risk at any given time. The Property Manager utilizing the Level of Operational Readiness matrix below should establish the operational status level of their property based upon possible and/or potential risks of threats or emergency conditions. Only the Property Manager may authorize the downgrading of the Operational Status once it has been increased above a Level Green.
Levels of Operational Readiness
No perceived threat or emergency condition exists.
Possible need for concern. An emergency condition is possible in the immediate future. Potential threats are known and may have an impact on surrounding geographic areas.
Emergency condition and/or threat exist and may have an impact on the immediate geographic area.
Emergency condition and/or threat are occurring and/or imminent in the immediate geographic area.
An imminent emergency condition and/or threat no longer exist and there is a need to address recovery and/or cleanup tasks.
- The past several years have seen an alarming increase in the number of incidents related to workplace violence. Incidents of workplace violence brought on by disgruntled or former employees, domestic or spousal problems, and/or other socioeconomic factors have been on the increase for the past 10 to 15 years. Although employers are still obligated under the General Duty Clause Section 5 (a)(1) to provide employees a workplace free of recognized hazards. Workplace violence is a recognized hazard.
B Intruder Preparedness Procedures
- Contact Local Police Representative for guidance and assistance.
- After reviewing your Armed Intruder Procedures, determine specific requirements or recommendations the Police may have for this type of situation.
- Establish Assignments for Personnel to:
a) Man phones
b) Meet police at building entrance
c) Make announcements over building emergency announcement system
d) Provide logistical support for police personnel and provide any items they may require such as drawings, keys, phones, gas, water, etc.
C. On Notification Of Possible Armed Intruder
- Obtain as much information as possible from reporting party.
- Immediately call 9 1 1. Request police come to (your address).
- Contact security supervisor, if applicable
- Notify all units of situation. Establish radio code for this situation. Notify Regional Manager or Asset Manager
- Standby for updates
- Contact cleaning crew supervisor (after hours) to report to predetermined location
D. Verified Armed Intruder Presence
1. Make the following public announcements to all floors using the fire public address system:
a) May I have your attention, please -- There is an armed intruder inside the building.
b) The Police are on the way.
c) Immediately lock yourself inside nearest office and stay there until an all clear is declared over the public address system.
d) Do not use the elevators.
e) Do not use stairwells.
f) Stay inside a locked office.
g) Remain calm and quiet.
2. Repeat the announcement.
- If the Public Address System is not available, contact all customers or customer representatives by phone.
- Respond to Phone Calls regarding the emergency as follows:
a) "I'm sorry. We are working with an emergency situation right now. We will make periodic public address announcements to update you."
- Make the following public address announcement every ten minutes or as needed.
a) "Attention please: Please remain calm and quiet in your secure location. We will keep you informed."
- Standby for instructions.
- Interact as requested with Police (SWAT/Hostage Negotiation Team).
- As necessary act as a media contact
- Establish Media briefing zone
- Act as liaison between media and Police
- Update appropriate corporate personnel
- Assist as requested.
E. Situation Resolved
- Make an "All Clear” announcement.
- Contact customer representatives to give update on situation
- Call contractors to make any necessary repairs. Contact involved customer representatives with appropriate return time to occupied space.